Personal development, health and physical education (PDHPE) is mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
According to the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), students are expected to participate in PDHPE for 300 hours per year in Years 7 to 10.
PDHPE provides students with opportunities to explore issues that are likely to impact on the health, safety and wellbeing of themselves and others – now and in the future. Students also participate in challenging and enjoyable physical activity, improving their capacity to move with skill and confidence.
In Year 11 and 12, courses available include:
- Community and Family Studies
- Exploring Early Childhood
- Personal Development, Health and Physical Education
- Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation Studies.
Physical activity and sports studies
The aim of physical activity and sports studies is to enhance students' capacity to participate effectively in physical activity and sport, leading to improved quality of live for themselves and others.
- Develop a foundation for efficient and enjoyable participation and performance in physical activity and sport
- Develop knowledge and understanding about the contribution of physical activity and sport to individual, community and societal wellbeing
- Enhance the participation and performance of themselves and others in physical activity and sport
- Develop the personal skills to participate in physical activity and sport with confidence and enjoyment.
Topics studied include:
- Body systems
- Physical activity for health
- Participating with safety
- Physical fitness
- Event management
- Issues in physical activity and sport
- Fundamentals of movement skill
- Indoor soccer
- Football codes
- European handball
- Slider hockey
- Shooting hoops
- Fitness activities
- Oz tag
- Ultimate frisbee
- Table tennis
Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation
Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation (SLR) enables senior students (stage 6) to build upon their learning in years K-10 personal development, health and physical education (PD/H/PE).
Specifically SLR relates most closely to participation in sport and physical activity and the course develops in each student the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to adopt active and health-promoting lifestyles.
Students will have opportunities to complete a minimum of 3-4 units each year. Units currently studied in Colo High School are games.
Stage 6 PDHPE
The aim of Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE) at stage 6 is to develop in each student a capacity to think critically about key issues related to health and physical activity in order to make informed decisions that support and contribute to healthy lifestyle, active lifestyles and communities. Personal Development, Health and Physical Education is an integrated area of study that provides for the intellectual, social, emotional, physical and spiritual development of students. It involves students learning about and practising ways of maintaining active, healthy lifestyles and improving their health status. It is also concerned with social and scientific understandings about movement, which lead to enhanced movement potential and appreciation of movement in their lives.
Topics studied in the Preliminary Course include:
- Better health for individuals
- The body in motion
- First aid
- Fitness hoices
Topics studied during the higher school certificate course include:
- Health priorities in australia
- Factors affecting performance
- Sports medicine
- Improving performance